This page lists a variety of sources for learning about architecture in Idaho. For information about property research, please see our Property Research page.
- Idaho Architecture Project, Preservation Idaho, The Idaho Historic Preservation Council – Use this site to find examples of buildings in Idaho. The site also includes links to online resources including sites describing architectural styles and links to local resources.
- Preservation Idaho
- Boise Arts and History
- Idaho Modern
- Idaho State Archives, Idaho State Historical Society
- Architecture in Idaho, Wikipedia
- HathiTrust – Find architectural design books in these digital archives.
- McAlester, Virginia Savage, with drawings by Suzanne Patton Matty and photographs by Steve Clicque. A field guide to American houses: the definitive guide to identifying and understanding America’s domestic architecture. New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2015. Revised and expanded.
- Graham, Wade. Dream cities: seven urban ideas that shape the world. New York : Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2016. First edition.
- Williams, H. L. A guide to old American houses 1700-1900 / by Henry Lionel Williams and Ottalie K. Williams. [Place of publication not identified]: Barnes, 1962. Digital copy available from HathiTrust. https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015006328036. Accessed December 20, 2018.
- Randall, Susan, producer, and Josh Malan, director. Idaho modern masters. Charles Hummel 2012. University Television Productions. Boise, Idaho: Preservation Idaho, Idaho Modern, 2012.
- Idaho Public Televistion. Outdoor Idaho. Designing Idaho. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Public Television, 2003.
Books on Idaho Architecture
- Attebery, Jennifer Eastman. Building Idaho: An Architectural History. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press, 1991.
- Boise City Dept. of Arts & History. Remnants of Boise. Boise, Idaho: City of Boise, Department of Arts and History, 2013.
- Boise State History Department. Historic Boise: A Neighborhood Guide. Boise, Idaho: Boise State University, Department of History, 1996.
- Boise’s Early Days. [Place of publication not identified], [date of publication not identified]
- Clarkson, Stephanie, Melanie Flitton Folwell, and Amy Pence-Brown, and designed and illustrated by Melanie Flitton Folwell, with Stephanie Clarkson, Dan Everhart, Kelly Exline, Melanie Flitton Folwell, Byron Folwell, Tully Gerlach, Amy Pence-Brown, Cathy Sewell, and Shaun Weston. Idaho Modern Field Guide: the history, care, and keeping of your mid-century home. Idaho Modern, and Preservation Idaho. – Find this publication and more at http://idahomodern.org/.
- D’Easum, Dick. The Idanha: Guests and Ghosts of an Historic Idaho Inn. Caldwell, Idaho: Caxton Press, 2001.
- Duran, James David, edited by Shari Hennefer and Boise City Department of Arts & History staff, Kathleen M. Lacey. Central Bench History (for the Central Bench Neighborhood Association). Boise, Idaho: Boise City Department of Arts & History, 2016.
- Friends of the Bishops’ House. Historic and Interesting Houses of Boise’s Beautiful Harrison Boulevard Area: A Short Guide. Boise, Idaho: The Friends, 1977.
- Hart, Arthur. Historic Boise: An Introduction to Architecture of Boise, Idaho 1863-1938. Boise, Idaho: Historic Idaho, 1993.
- Hart, Arthur. The Boiseans at Home. Boise, Idaho: Historic Boise, Inc., 1984.
- Hibbard, Don. Weiser: A Look at Idaho Architecture. Boise, Idaho: Idaho State Historic Preservation Office, 2008.
- Hummel, Charles, Tim Woodward, and Jeanne Huff, Todd Shallat, editor, and Otto Kitsinger, photographer. Quintessential Boise: an architectural journey. Boise, Idaho: Boise State University, College of Social Sciences and Public Affairs, 2010.
- Idaho State Historical Society. Architecturally Significant and Historic Buildings of Boise, Idaho. [Boise, Idaho?]: [publisher not identified], 1970.
- Johnson, Vicki Sharples. Nine Walking Tours of Boise. Boise, Idaho: Boise Walking Tours, 1979.
- Kincaid, James L. Warren Historic Walking Tour. [Ogden, Utah?]: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Region, Payette National Forest, 1994. Revised reprint 1994.
- Moyers, Corinne. Old Schools of Canyon County: includes Gem and Payette Counties. Nampa, Idaho: Corrine Moyers, 1988.
- Neil, J. Meredith. Saints & Oddfellows: A Bicentennial Sampler of Idaho Architecture. Boise, Idaho: Boise Gallery of Art Association, 1976.
- Nettleton, Helen, revised by Paul Nettleton, with information from Julia Hyslop. Interesting Buildings in Silver City, Idaho. Homedale, Idaho: Owyhee Publishing Company, 1992. 4th printing.
Patterns of the Past: The Ada County Historic Site Inventory. [Boise, Idaho]: [publisher not identified], 2001.
- Reitzes, Lisa B. Paris-a Look at Idaho Architecture. Boise, Idaho: Idaho State Historic Preservation Office, 1981.
- Shallat, Todd, et al Harrison Boulevard: Preserving the Past in Boise’s North End. Boise, ID: School of Social Sciences and Public Affairs, Boise State University, 1989.
- Webb, Anna. 150 Boise Icons: To Celebrate the City’s Sesquicentennial “An Idaho Statesman publication.” Boise, Idaho: Idaho Statesman, 2013.
- White, William A. Living on the south side of the tracks: the River Street digital history project and Boise, Idaho. Boise, Idaho: Boise City Department of Arts and History, 2016.
- Whiting, Henry II. At Nature’s Edge: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Artist Studio. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2007.
- Whiting, Henry II. Teater’s Knoll: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Idaho Legacy. Midland, Michigan: Northwood Institute Press, 1987.
- Wright, Patrica. Twin Falls County: A Look at Idaho Architecture. Boise, Idaho: Idaho State Historical Society, Preservation Office, 1979.
- Wright, Patricia, and Lisa B. Reitzes. Tourtellotte & Hummel of Idaho: The Standard Practice of Architecture. Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press with Idaho State Historical Society, 1987.
- Wright, Patricia, illustrated by Elizabeth Mowrey, photography by Duane Garrett, maps by K. Erin Old. Twin Falls Country: a look at Idaho architecture. Boise, Idaho: Idaho State Historical Society, Preservation Office, 1979.
- Yehle, W.D. Inventory of Harrison Boulevard: An Inventory of the Residential Structures Located on Harrison Boulevard, Boise, Idaho.
This page updated by Ronnie Joiner on March 14, 2022.