This list of museums and interpretive sites in Idaho is organized region and county as follows:
- Museums in Central Idaho: Includes Blaine, Butte, Camas, Custer, and Lemhi Counties
- Museums in Eastern Idaho: Includes Bannock, Bear Lake, Caribou, Franklin, Oneida, and Power Counties
- Museums in North Central Idaho: Includes Clearwater, Idaho, Latah, Lewis, and Nez Perce Counties
- Museums in Northern Idaho: Includes Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai, and Shoshone Counties
- Museums in South Central Idaho: Includes Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, and Twin Falls Counties
- Museums in Southeast Idaho: Includes Bingham, Bonneville, Clark, Fremont, Jefferson, Madison, and Teton Counties
- Museums in Southwest Idaho: Includes Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley, and Washington Counties
- Organizations and Associations
- Historical Markers
Museums in Central Idaho
- Blaine County Historical Museum
- Sawtooth Botanical Garden – This garden is a place to learn about high altitude gardening.
- Regional History Museum – This museum is in the historic Forest Service Park and is administered by The Community Library in Ketchum.
- Experimental Breeder Reactor-1 (EBR-1) Atomic Museum – Visit the Experimental Breeder Reactor No. 1 at the Idaho National Laboratory!
- Historic Camas County Railroad Depot Museum – Administered by the Camas Historical Society
- Lemhi County Historical Society & Museum
- Sacajawea Interpretive, Cultural & Educational Center – Features educational and cultural programs and a large outdoor area.
Museums in Eastern Idaho
- Bannock County Historical Museum
- Fort Hall Replica
- Idaho Museum of Natural History, Idaho State University
- Museum of Clean
- South Bannock County Historical Center and Museum
Bear Lake County
- National Oregon/California Trail Center – This interpretive center also houses The Rails and Trails Museum and a community theater.
- Chesterfield Historic Town Site
- Franklin Historic District
- Oneida County Pioneer Museum
- Power County Historical Museum
Museums in North Central Idaho
- Clearwater Historical Museum – This museum houses and shares information about Clearwater County. Topics include logging, mining, Lewis and Clark, and the history of the Nez Percé people.
- J. Howard Bradbury Memorial Logging Museum
- Wieppe Discovery Center
- Historical Museum at St. Gertrude – This museum administered by the Benedictine sisters of the Monastery of St. Gertrude.
- Lochsa Historical Ranger Station Museum
- Appaloosa Museum & Heritage Center – Learn about the history of the Appaloosa horse.
- Kendrick Museum: Juliaetta-Kendrick Heritage Foundation
- McConnell Mansion – This museum in the McConnell mansion is administered by the Latah County Historical Society. The Centennial Annex houses the historical society’s archival materials.
- University of Idaho Arboretum and Botanical Gardens
- Kamiah Valley Museum
- Museum of Winchester History
Nez Perce County
- LCSC Center for Arts and History
- Nez Perce County Historical Museum
- Spalding Visitors Center
Museums in Northern Idaho
- Hughes House Museum
- Bird Aviation Museum and Invention Center – Includes the National Inventors Hall of Fame.
- Priest Lake Museum
- Priest River Museum and Timber Education Center
- Boundary County Museum
- Coeur d’ Alene’s Old Mission State Park/Cataldo Mission – This site is administered by the Idaho Department of Parks & Recreation. The Mission’s Sacred Heart Church opened for services in 1853.
- Crane House Museum
- Pappy Boyington Veterans Museum (Pappy Boyington Field Museum) – Learn about the museum’s collections through their YouTube channel.
- Museum of North Idaho
- Treaty Rock – This rock is a historic artifact preserved by the City of Post Falls Parks Division. Settler Fredrick Post and Chief Seltice of the Coeur d’ Alene Tribe signed a treaty directly on this rock in 1871.
- Museum at the Brig at Farragut State Park
- Captain John Mullan Museum
- Crystal Gold Mine
- Northern Pacific Depot Railroad Museum –
- Oasis Bordello Museum
- Shoshone County Mining & Smelting Museum at the Staff House – “Our mission is to preserve the mining, smelting and cultural history of North Idaho’s Silver Valley.”
- Sierra Silver Mine Tour
- Sprag Pole Museum
- Wallace Mining District Museum
Museums in South Central Idaho
- Cassia County Historical Museum
- Oakley Valley Historical Museum
- Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument –
- Hagerman Valley Historical Museum – Includes exhibits on adventurers, settlers, and native peoples, in addition to Pilocene era fossils.
- Idaho Farm and Ranch Museum
- Jerome County Historical Museum
- Minidoka National Historic Site – Executive Order 9066 was signed by President Roosevelt on February 19, 1942. It allowed the U.S. government incarcerate Japanese, German, and Italian Americans. Japanese Americans were removed from their homes and sent to camps, including this camp in Idaho. It is now a National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service.
- Minidoka County Museum
Twin Falls County
- Herrett Center for Arts and Science – This center at the College of Southern Idaho focuses on anthropology and natural history.
- Rock Creek Station and Stricker House
- Twin Falls County Historical Museum – Check out the museum’s online photo gallery.
Museums in Southeast Idaho
- Collector’s Corner Museum
- Museum of Idaho
- Heritage Hall Museum
- Legacy Flight Museum – This museum maintains a collection of airworthy, historic military airplanes.
- Museum of Rexburg – Includes the Teton Flood Exhibit.
Museums in Southwest Idaho
- Basque Museum and Cultural Center
- Boise City Department of Arts & History – This city department archives and supports the artistic heritage of Boise. Their projects include the James Castle House which has been turned into a showcase for the artist’s work.
- Discovery Center of Idaho! – Experience science exhibits paired with hands-on learning.
- Idaho Black History Museum
- Idaho Botanical Garden
- Idaho Military Museum/Idaho Military History Museum – This museum is located at Gowen Field. Includes the new Gowen Field Memorial Park.
- Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology
- JUMP tractor tours – Vintage tractors are scattered across the Jack’s Urban Meeting Place (JUMP) space in Boise. Information about each tractor is available on the JUMP web page.
- Lincoln Legacy Exhibition
- Old Idaho Penitentiary Site is part of the Idaho State Historical Society. Includes a variety of exhibits including penitentiary history.
- Idaho State Archives Abraham Lincoln Exhibit
- Council Valley Museum
- Central Idaho Historical Museum
- Idaho City Historical Foundation – Includes the Boise Basin Museum, the Pon Yam Museum and Cultural Center, the Historic Buildings Block, Brogan and Naylor Parks, and the Strauss House with the Kenn Smith Garden.
- Fort Boise Replica/Old Fort Boise Park
- Nampa Train Depot Museum, Canyon County Historical Society
- Orma J. Smith Museum of Natural History – The College of Idaho’s natural history museum focuses on the area of southwestern Idaho, southeastern Oregon and northern Nevada.
- Our Memories Indian Creek Museum
- Warhawk Air Museum – This museum is housed in an air hanger. Its collection includes personal items and narratives, and historic aircraft.
- Gem County Historical Village Museum
- Payette County Museum
- Valley County Museum
- Snake River Heritage Center (SRHC) – Housed in Hooker Hall on the campus of the old Intermountain Institute.
Organizations and Associations
- Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums (ATALM)
- Idaho Association of Museums. Check the museum’s hours before visiting. Many of these museums are closed in the winter.
- History in Idaho State Parks
- Learn about roadside historical markers in the Idaho Historical Marker Guide (PDF)
- Historical Marker Database (HMDB)
- Evans, Tony Tekaroniake. “Decolonizing Idaho’s Historical Markers.” High Country News. Vol. 53, No. 11. November 1, 2021.
This page updated by Ronnie Joiner on March 14, 2022.