This page focuses on the Boise Army Barracks, Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) project. This is one example of an environmental cleanup project.
Federal laws such as the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) help govern the process of environmental cleanup. Idaho has its own laws such as the Idaho Placer and Dredge Mining Protection Act and the Idaho Administrative Procedures Act (IDAPA).
The U.S. Department of Energy website provides clear summaries of many federal environmental laws. In addition, laws and their updates are available on GovInfo. In addition, you can track new legislation at Congress.gov, and provide feedback on regulations at Regulations.gov.
Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) are sites that contain environmental hazards caused by activities of the U.S. Military. The Department of Defense (DoD) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) are responsible for remediating these sites.
See the following for more information:
- US Army Corps of Engineers Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Program
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- Environmental Maps
- Science Databases
Boise Army Barracks, Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS)
Final Uniform Federal Policy Quality Assurance Project Plan (QUAPP) Remedial Investigation Boise Army Barracks Ada and Boise Counties, Boise, Idaho. FUDS Project No. F10ID010304. Contract No. W912DY-17-D-0003. Delivery Order W9128F18F0024. Prepared for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, October 2019. Kansas City, Missouri: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District, 2019-
- This document is available in the Federal Depository collection at the Boise Public Library. You can contact Boise Public Library using the “contact us” form on this site.
Boise Barracks Ordnance Removal Reports, 1997-2002. Boise State University. Information about this collection is available on Archives West.
The Boise Army Barracks are at Fort Boise in Boise, Idaho. The Boise VA Medical Center has posted a concise history of Fort Boise on their web site.
Documents referenced in the Boise Army Barracks, Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) document are listed below. Some of these documents are updated regularly, so they may not be the same editions as those referenced and they may not be the most current editions. They are not all available from any one source. Use the FARRIT environmental cleanup resources page to find more materials, including online documents and maps.
- Defense Explosives Safety Regulation 6055.09, Edition 1. Published through the Department of Defense (DoD) Explosives Safety Board under the authority of DoD Directive 6055.09E. https://www.denix.osd.mil/ddes/index.html. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Department of Defense (DoD) Department of Energy (DOE) Consolidated Quality Systems Manual (QSM) for Environmental Laboratories Based on ISO/IEC 17025:2005(E), ISO/IEC 17025:2017(E) and The NELAC Institute (TNI) Standards, Volume 1, (September 2009) DoD Quality Systems Manual Version 5.3, 2019. https://denix.osd.mil/edqw/documents/manuals/qsm-version-5-3-final. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Department of Defense Explosive Safety Board (DDESB) Technical Paper 18. https://denix.osd.mil/ddes/ddes-technical-papers/ddes-technical-papers/tp-18-minimum-qualifications. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Department of Defense Restoration Program (DERP) Manual. DoDM 4715.20, March 9, 2012, Incorporating Change 1, August 31, 2018. https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodm/471520m.pdf?ver=2018-12-03-112553-333
- EM 200-1-2 Technical Project Planning Process (TPP) Engineer Manual (EM). https://www.publications.usace.army.mil/Portals/76/Publications/EngineerManuals/EM_200-1-2.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Engineer Manual, 200-1-15, Technical Guidance for Military Munitions Response Actions. https://purl.fdlp.gov/GPO/gpo63703. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Guidance for Labeling Externally Validated Laboratory Analytical Data for Superfund Use. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 540-R-08-005.
- Guidance on Systematic Planning Using the DQOs Process, EPA QA/G-4, EPA/240/B-06/001. https://www.epa.gov/quality/guidance-systematic-planning-using-data-quality-objectives-process-epa-qag-4. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Intergovernmental Data Quality Task Force (IDQTF) Uniform Federal Policy for Quality Assurance Project Plans Optimized UFP-QAPP Worksheets. EPA, 2012. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/ufp_qapp_worksheets.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Martin, Lynn R; Army Corps of Engineers, Civil Works Directorate; Water Resources Support Center; Institute for Water Resources, Policy and Special Studies Division. IWR Report 96-PS-3. Civil Works Environmental Desk Reference. Alexandria, Virginia: Institute for Water Resources, 1996. January 2002 (update). Office of the Secretary of Defense. Restoration Advisory Board Rule Handbook. March 2007. https://www.poh.usace.army.mil/Portals/10/docs/fuds/DOD%20RAB%20Rule%20Handbook%202007-03.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Preliminary Remediation Goals for Radionuclide Contaminants at Superfund Sites. https://epa-prgs.ornl.gov/radionuclides. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Regional Screening Levels for Chemical Contaminants at Superfund Sites. https://www.epa.gov/risk/regional-screening-levels-rsls. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) Clearance, Active Range UXO Clearance, and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Programs. Washington, D.C.: Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition & Technology, 1998. https://purl.fdlp.gov/GPO/LPS19948. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) Idaho Federally-Listed Threatened, Endangered, Proposed, and Candidate Species’ County Distribution List. https://www.fws.gov/idaho. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Uniform Federal Policy for Quality Assurance Project Plans (UFP-QAPP) Manual. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), 2005. Look up at https://nepis.epa.gov. Accessed August 8, 2020.
- Uniform Federal Policy for Quality Assurance Project Plans (UFP-QAPP): Munitions Response QAPP Toolkit. Module 1: Remedial Investigation (RI)/Feasibility Study (FS). Intergovernmental Data Quality Task Force. Update 1, April 2020. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2019-02/documents/508_compliant_final_mr-qapp_module_1_signed.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2020.
Posted 2020-08-11 by rjoiner