Here are a few resources for learning about law in Idaho. For information about legal resources, libraries, and courts, take a look at our guide to Online Legal Resources.
- Fordyce-Ruff, Tenielle, and Kristina J. Running. Idaho legal research. Durham, North Carolina: Carolina Academic Press, 2015.
City and County Codes
City and County Codes are codified online by:
Additional city codes:
International Code Council (ICC)
- Idaho Legal Historical Society – This society provides historical information on their web page. Topics include biographies of Idaho judges and lawyers, and the Haywood Trial.
- Idaho Yesterdays: Volume 25, Issue 1 of Idaho Yesterdays has a number of articles on historic legal issues in Idaho. The index to Idaho Yesterdays is available from the North Idaho College Molstead Library. Articles include the following:
- Limbaugh, Ronald H. Fighter on the Bench: Milton Kelly’s Idaho Legal Career, 1862 – 1870. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 3-13.
- Wyman, Mark. Mining Law in Idaho. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 14-22.
- Wunder, John. The Courts and the Chinese in Frontier Idaho. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 23-32.
- Wells, Merle W. Law in the Service of Politics: Anti-Mormonism in Idaho Territory. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 33-43.
- Reed, Scott W. New Law for a New State: The Legal Impetus to Development of the Material Resources of Idaho. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 47-56.
- Sheep and Cattle, Ranges and Courts. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 57-59.
- Bianchi, Carl F. Justice for the times: a centennial history of the Idaho state courts. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Law Foundation, 1990.
- Buckendorf, Madeline. Building a profession: a history of the Idaho State Bar, 1860s to 1950s. Thesis/dissertation. Boise, Idaho: M.A. Boise State University, 1992.
- Buser, Paul J. “Our Finest Hour”: Court Reform in Idaho. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 69-76.
- Hart, Arthur A. Echoes from the Ada County Courthouse: 1938-2001. Boise, Idaho: Ada County Historic Preservation Council, published cooperatively with the Center for Idaho History and Politics at Boise State University, 2005.
- Kristensen, Debora K. The first 50 women in Idaho law: 1895 – 1975. Boise, Idaho: Idaho State Bar, 2005.
- Rassier, Phillip J. Legal Jurisdiction on Indian Lands: Authority in Transition. Idaho Yesterdays. Volume 25, Number 1. Spring 1981. Page 60-67.
- Idaho State Bar Lawyer Referral Service
- Idaho State Bar. Attorney Roster Search
- Idaho State Bar. Digital Desk Book
- Idaho State Bar. Desk Book Directory/Roster of Attorneys/ Directory and Reference Guide/Directory. Boise, Idaho: Idaho State Bar, 197?-
- Attorney’s Service Bureau. Directory of Attorneys/Directory of Spokane and Inland Empire area attorneys. Spokane, Washington: Attorney’s Service Bureau.
- Idaho Trial Lawyers Association – Find a Lawyer.
- Idaho Trial Lawyers Association – Street Law Clinic
- Idaho Volunteer Lawyer Program – Community Legal Clinics calendar
- The Idaho legal directory. Dallas, Texas: Legal Directories Pub. Co., 1996-
- The mountain states legal directory: (states of Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming). Los Angeles, California: Legal Directories Pub. Co., -1990, 1992-1995.
- Tucker legal directory. Boise, Idaho: Tucker & Associates. 1987-
- The Advocate. Idaho State Bar. Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 1957)-
- Idaho Law Review. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho, College of Law.
This page updated by Ronnie Joiner on March 14, 2022.