“Yet we are Idahoans
and we were miners then”
- Battien, Pauline. The Gold Seekers. Fairfield, Washington: Ye Galleon Press, 1989.
- Bolino, August C. The Role of Mining in the Economic Development of Idaho Territory. Moscow, Idaho: Idaho Bureau of Mines and Geology, 1960.
- Chapman, Ray. Uncle Bunker: Memories in Words and Pictures. Kellogg, Idaho: Chapman Pub. 1994.
- Dolph, Jerry. Fire in the Hole: the Untold Story of the Hardrock Miners. Pullman, Washington: Washington State University Press, 1994.
- Idaho Gold and Gems Maps, Then and Now. United States: R.N/M.L., Preston, 2000.
- Goertzen, Dorine .Boise Basin Brocade. Boise, Idaho: Capitol Lithograph and Printing, 1960.
- Grover, David H. Debaters and dynamiters: the story of the Haywood trial. Caldwell, Idaho: Caxton Press, 2006, 1964.
- Goulder, William Armistead (W.A.). Reminiscences: incidents in the life of a pioneer in Oregon and Idaho. Boise, Idaho: Timothy Regan, 1909.
- Hart, Patricia. Mining Town: The Photographic Record of T.N. Barnard and Nellie Stockbridge from the Coeur d’Alenes. Seattle, Washington; Boise, Idaho: University of Washington Press; Idaho State Historical Society, 1984.
- Holbrook, Stewart H. The Rocky Mountain Revolution. New York, New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1956.
- Hyde, Gene. From Hell to Heaven: Death-Related Mining Accidents in North Idaho. Coeur d’Alene, Idaho: Museum of North Idaho, 2003.
- Jarrett, Stanley M. Final report of major mine fire disaster, Sunshine Mine, Sunshine Mining Company, Kellogg, Shoshone County, Idaho, May 2, 1972. Alameda, California: United States Metal and Nonmetal Mine Health and Safety Western District. 1973.
- Klockmann, A. K. The Klockmann Diary: the Quest for North Idaho’s Legendary Continental Mine. Sandpoint, Idaho: Keokee Co., 1990.
- Koschmann, A. H.; and M.H. Bergendahl. Principal gold-producing districts of the United States. Geological Survey professional paper 610. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1968. https://purl.fdlp.gov/GPO/gpo80599.
- Maley, Terry S. Field geology, illustrated. Boise, Idaho: Mineral Land Publications, 2005. 2nd ed.
- McKay, Kathryn L. Hidden Treasure: Historical Overview of the Dixie Mining District. Idaho County, Idaho. Columbia Falls, Montana: Tracks of the Past, 1996.
- McKay Norlen, Arthur. Death of a Proud Union: The 1960 Bunker Hill Strike. Cataldo, Idaho: Tamarack Publiching, 1992.
- Minshall, G. Wayne. Wilderness Brothers: prospecting, horse packing, & homesteading on the Western Frontier: based on the diaries of Luman G. Caswell, 1895-1903. Inkom, Idaho: Streamside Scribe Press, 2012.
- Mix, Michael C. Leaded : the poisoning of Idaho’s Silver Valley. Corvallis, Oregon: Oregon State University Press, 2016.
- Olsen, Gregg. The Deep Dark: disaster and redemption in America’s richest silver mine. New York, New York: Crown Publishers, 2005.
- Orchard, Harry. The Confessions and Autobiography of Harry Orchard. New York, New York: McClure, 1907.
- Painter, Rex. Idaho’s Bonanza Years; Ghost Towns, Their History and How to Find Them. [Place of publication not identified]: [publisher not identified], 1966.
- Parkins, Mac. Ballads of Owyhee Mine Days: Impressions of Today and Yesterday. Homedale, Idaho, Owyhee Chronicle, 1964.
- Parkins Povey, Dorothy. Ghost Mining Camps of Idaho: Their History and How to Find Them. Boise, Idaho: D. Povey, 1984.
- Peterson, Duane L. 83 Miles of Hell: the Stibnite Ore Haul, 1942-1952. Cascade, Idaho: D & D Books, 1999.
- Reinhart, Herman Francis; Doyce B. Nunis, Jr., editor; foreword by Nora B. Cunningham. The golden frontier: the recollections of Herman Francis Reinhart, 1851-1869. Austin, Texas: University of Texas Press, 1962.
- Ross, Clyde Polhemus. Mining History of South-Central Idaho. Moscow, Idaho, 1963.
- Snow, Bradley D. Living with Lead : an environmental history of Idaho’s Coeur d’Alenes, 1885-2011. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2017.
- Spence, Clark C. For Wood River or Bust: Idaho’s Silver Boom of the 1880’s. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press. 1998.
- Spence, Clark C. Mining engineers and the American West : the lace-boot brigade, 1849-1933. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press, 1993.
- Spence, Clark C. A history of gold dredging in Idaho. Boulder, Colorado: University Press of Colorado, 2016.
- Wells, Merle W. Gold Camps and Silver Cities New ed. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press, 2002.
- Yarber, Esther. Land of the Yankee Fork. Salt Lake City, Utah: Publishers Press, 1972, 1963.
- Zhu, Liping. A Chinaman’s Chance: The Chinese on the Rocky Mountain Mining Frontier. Niwot, Colorado: University Press of Colorado, 1997.
WEB SITES, ONLINE DOCUMENTS, AND ARCHIVES
- Idaho Mining Association
- Idaho Museum of Mines and Geology
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series
- U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Idaho
- Idaho Geological Survey
- Labor Archives of Washington
- Library of Congress Topics in Chronicling America
- Labor History Sources. Manuscript Reading Room, Library of Congress. https://www.loc.gov/rr/mss/laborlc.html. Accessed September 21, 2018.
- The Coeur d’Alene Mining Insurrection. Library of Congress. https://www.loc.gov/rr/news/topics/cour.html. Accessed September 21, 2018.
- The Haywood Trial. Library of Congress. https://www.loc.gov/rr/news/topics/haywood.html. Accessed September 21, 2018.
- Western Federation of Miners and International Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers Records on Microfilm. Collection Number: 5412 mf. Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation and Archives, Cornell University Library. http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/EAD/htmldocs/KCL05412mf.html. Accessed September 21, 2018.
- [stacks] Idaho’s Digital Repository – The Idaho Digital Repository was created by Idaho statute 33-2505. It provides the citizens of Idaho with access to government publications. Includes documents on mining history.
- Mineral Resources of the United States (back to 1821), Archive.org
- Annual report of the Director of the United States Geological Survey to the Secretary of the Interior (includes publications from 1880 to 1963), U.S. Geological Survey. HathiTrust.
- Bureau of Mines Minerals Yearbook (1932-1993), U.S. Geological Survey
- Commodity Statistics and Information (Nonfuel Minerals), U.S. Geological Survey
- USGS Publications Warehouse, U.S. Geological Survey
- USGS Publications and Data Products, U.S. Geological Survey
- The Mining Record
- The Idaho Pamphlet File also contains clippings on mines and mining in Idaho. Folders are filed under Mining-History and also by specific mines or mining districts, e.g. Blackbird Mine or Atlanta Mining District.
- Idaho Public Television; writer/producer, Bruce Reichert; director/editor, Pat Metzler. Outdoor Idaho. Mining Idaho. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Public Television, 2008.
- Idaho Public Television; writer/producer, Bruce Reichert; director, Pat Metzler; producers, John Crancer and Marcia Franklin. Outdoor Idaho. Silver Valley rising. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Public Television, 2005.
- Idaho Public Television; Executive producer, Bruce Reichert; writer/producer/videographer/director/editor, John Crancer; director/videographer/editor, Pat Metzler; videographers, Ricardo Ochoa, Alan Austin and Tom Hadzor. Outdoor Idaho. Gold rush days and ghost towns. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Public Television, 2002.
Jim Jatkevcius, Boise Public Library, 2003; Revised by Ronnie Joiner on January 6, 2021..