Here are a few iconic plants and animals native to the Gem State. We have created information pages about a few of these plants and animals. Click on the active links to visit them.
- Idaho Giant Salamander
- Barn Owl
- Greater Sage-Grouse
- Mountain Bluebird
- Mountain Quail
- Mourning Dove
- Peregrine Falcon
- Turkey Vulture
- Giant Palouse Earthworm
- Monarch Butterfly
- American Badger
- American Beaver
- American Bison (historic)
- Black Bear
- Black-Footed Ferret
- Cougar (Mountain Lion)
- Grizzly Bear
- Ground Squirrel
- Mule Deer
- Pronghorn (or Pronghorn Antelope)
- Woodland Caribou
- Western Rattlesnake
- Pygmy Short-horned Lizard
- Aase’s Onion
- Ponderosa Pine
- Western White Pine
- Morel Mushrooms
Bibliography and Sources
- Idaho Species Catalog, Idaho Department of Fish and Game
- Idaho State Emblems, Idaho Secretary of State
- Idaho’s Birds of Prey (PDF). Idaho Fish & Game Conservation Sciences Program. 1987. Revised 2008 editor: Deniz Aygen, IDFG. Revised 2008 reviewers: Sara Focht and Colleen Moulton, IDFG. Accessed December 31, 2022.
- Outdoor Idaho, Idaho Public Television
- Mullins, William H. Idaho Wildlife Impressions. Helena, MT : Farcountry Press, 2007.
- Pope, Aimee L., editor. Idaho wildlife viewing guide. Cambridge, MN : Adventure Publications, 2003.
- Wassink, Jan L. Idaho wildlife. Helena, Mont. : American Geographic Pub., 1987.
- Utz, Jamie, Mike Pellant, Tristan Froerer ; edited by Wendy Sand ; symbol illustration by Chris Becker. A field guide to wildlife of the Boise foothills. Boise, Idaho: Harris Ranch Wildlife Mitigation Association, 2017.
- Vizgirdas, Ray S., illustrations by Edna Rey-Vizgirdas. Wild edible and useful plants of Idaho. Boise, Idaho: RSVizgirdas, 2017.
- Steele, Robert W. A directory to disjunct and endemic plants of central and southern Idaho. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho, Forest, Wildlife and Range Experiment Station, 1975.
- The University of Idaho Rangeland Center and the Idaho Rangeland Resource Commission. Backpack guide to Idaho range plants. Boise, Idaho: University of Idaho Rangeland Center : Idaho Rangeland Resource Commission, 2013.
- Patterson, Patricia A., Kenneth E. Neiman, Jonalea R. Tonn. Field guide to forest plants of northern Idaho. Ogden, Utah : U.S. Department of the Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station, 1985.
- Pappani, Karie. Riparian plant reference guide: field guide for identifying riparian plants. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Soil and Water Conservation Commission, 2013. 3rd edition.
This page updated by Ronnie Joiner on December 31, 2022.