Decennial Census records include household information. While Census data is released quickly to the Executive Branch and the states for use in redistricting and reapportionment, personal Census records are kept private for 72 years. These older Census records are managed by the National Archives, and are used for research and genealogy.
Census records are available from the following sources:
- HeritageQuest Online
- Ancestry.com – Available for purchase and from some Libraries.
- The 1940 Census from the National Archives
About Census Records
- Decennial Census questions have changed over the years. Visit www.census.gov/history to learn about the information collected in each Census.
- FamilySearch Research Wiki
- National Archives guide to Census Records
The Decennial Census By Year
1850 – Oregon Territory
1860 – Washington Territory
1870 – Idaho Territory
- 1870 is indexed in: Idaho Genealogical Society. Idaho Territory Federal Population & Mortality Schedules, 1870. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Genealogical Society, 1973.
1880 – Idaho Territory
- 1880 is indexed in: Idaho Genealogical Society. Idaho Territory Federal Population and Mortality Schedules, with Index, 1880. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Genealogical Society, 1976.
1890 – Idaho Territory
- The Idaho Territory Census records from 1890 were destroyed by fire. Idaho became a state on July 3, 1890.
1900 – State of Idaho
1910 – State of Idaho
- 1910 is indexed in: Idaho Genealogical Society, Inc. Idaho State Federal Census Index, 1910. Boise, Idaho: Idaho Genealogical Society and Northwest Printing, 1991.
1920 – State of Idaho
- The 1920 Annual Report of the Census includes information about the effect of the Influenza pandemic on 1920 Census. Annual Report of the Director of the Census to the Secretary of Commerce for the Fiscal Year Ended June 20, 1920. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1920. https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1920_Annual.pdf
1930 – State of Idaho
1940 – State of Idaho
- 1940 records are available at 1940census.archives.gov.
This page was updated by rjoiner on March 11, 2020.